Thursday 14 October 2010

Hot stuff

Does anybody else out there think that different drinks takes better out of certain mugs? We have a variety of mugs in our house ranging from bone china to more chunky ones. I have one little green mug in particular that no one else in the house dares to use for fear of having something happen to it. It's a mug I bought in a craft shop in Bournemouth nearly 30 years ago and to me, that mug was born to have milky coffee in it. If ever I am feeling poorly, that is the mug I turn to for comfort. It's not the prettiest mug in the house, but it's my favourite.

This year when the January sales were on, we bought a Nespresso coffee machine. The coffee from it is superb, the best home made coffee. But the spout that the coffee comes out of is fairly low and some mugs simply don't fit underneath it. I had bought 2 lovely slim, short, white Sophie Conran mugs from Portmeirion but I've been looking for some more. So today I popped into a new shop that has opened in town. The Steamer Trading Cook Shop. I spent ages looking round the lovely homeware and kitchen equipment downstairs and then noticed that there was an upstairs too. There were 2 walls filled with mugs. And in the middle of them all, were some lovely Emma Bridgewater mugs, duck egg blue, just 3" tall and 3" in diameter with 'white coffee' written in white along the inside and outside of the rim. They called out to me - "Buy me" I walked round the store some more, picked up a few other mugs but they weren't the right size, they didn't feel right in my hand. And in my mind, I could hear the blue ones "Me ... pick me ... take me home" And so I did, I bought two and as soon as I got home, I plugged in the machine, washed up the new mugs, and had a cup of coffee. They were a good choice. I think they are destined to be some of my favourites!

9 comments:

Photography said...

Oh yes i have certain mugs in our cupboard that i always go for and other i never touch :-) Do you have a follower link? Sorry if I already asked that :-)

Ruth said...

Oh, yes, I agree about that 'certain' mug. The new EB ones are lovely.

Sian said...

Very well observed (and a great title!) I have different mugs for different times of the day - and they are all Bridgewater (Oh, apart from breakfast because it's a REALLY big one).

Cheri said...

Since I don't drink coffee or tea, I have little use for mugs. But I find the same thing with the bowls in our home. Different bowls - different purposes. The everyday dishes (white corelle wear) are perfect for breakfast cereal. But for popcorn or stew - you want the deep brightly colored plastic ones that we bought at Target!

humel said...

You know I agree about the mugs - you've seen many of mine on my blog at various times! I don't have any Emma Bridgewater ones though, may need to remedy that....

I thought from the post's title that it would be about me?!

Amy said...

I'm not a coffe or tea drinker either but I do like a good mug even though I don't use them often!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Yes, I'll agree. Coffee always tastes best when drank from one of my two favorite mugs! A blue one from Starbucks, and the Mary Poppins mug Carrie gave me recently. :o)

Maria Ontiveros said...

i don't know if they taste better, but i definitely have mugs that fit my different moods.
Rinda

Cate Brickell said...

oh, yes, different mugs for different purposes! I'm in the process of changing all my crockery to match (instead of the hodge podge we brought together), and have been searching for the perfect cup. I think I've found it!