Saturday 8 October 2011

Stay at home cropper

At the moment I really ought to be at the Eclectic Keepsakes crop but for a couple of reasons, I haven't been able to get there.  One of which is one which will make me sound like an old crock - following an hour of sitting on a stage in an uncomfortable, hard school chair, unable to get comfortable due to 200 parents watching my every move, I seem to have trapped or pinched a nerve in my left leg.  This is what happens when you offer moral support to a work colleague! 
One of the jobs I do at school is to arrange work experience for 160 girls in year 10.  My colleague has recently taken over main responsibility for this following the retirement of the previous reluctant enthusiastic workmate who got lumbered with it offered to do it.  Now, us ladies in the office do not seek attention.  We are happy to quietly and secretly run the school without venturing into the world of parents and particularly information evenings for parents.  So, the night of the Work Experience Info Eve approached, and Mrs A was up burning the midnight oil preparing powerpoint presentations, demonstration videos and speeches.  Standing up on stage in front of a hall full of parents and students was never part of a secretary's job description and I could sense anxiety creeping in.  Now, we work as a team, and I am there to support her, just like Laurel had Hardy and Ant has Dec, she has me as her trusty assistant.  I tried calling myself her glamourous assistant but that just made me sound like Debbie McGee and she objected to being likened to Paul Daniels!  So we're up on stage, with laptops and presentations prepared, whiteboards in place, microphones on and spotlights positioned.  After about 15 mins on my hard chair, I started to get uncomfortable.  Shifted weight from one side to the other.  Sat with ankles crossed.  Sat with knees together and ankles together.  Crossed one leg over the other.  Remembered that was bad for the circulation and sat neatly again.  The longest hour of my life.  It's very disconcerting to just sit on a stage and look out on a sea of faces.  I found myself longing for the 'any other questions' part where we could get off the stage and mingle.  The next day I woke with a really weird sensation in my left leg and I can only thing it was caused by bad posture for 60 very long minutes the night before.  It got worse as the day went on and I woke with it again this morning.  Sadly, EK crop is about 45 mins drive from me and the thought of being in a car that long followed by a day of sitting down again did not seem sensible.  So I've been home, and as I had prepared this month's 4x6 Photo Love to take with me and complete, I've been working on that in the lounge.  Kneeling at the coffee table, not sure that was such a good idea either!


I'm pleased I've got something to show for my morning, but I've really missed Karen's cupcakes ...

12 comments:

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Oh poor you :( I hope your leg is better soon and you're able to get out and about cropping etc.
Your layout is great and I love the apple cut outs.

Alison said...

Hope the leg is easing up...glad you got some scrapping done...I would be sad about the cupcakes too!
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

Come on now.....you know you just didn't want to share the brownies with Karen!!!!!!

The Scrappy Tree said...

What a shame! Nice that you got scrapping anyway though :) feel better soon!

angelfish (fiona) said...

It's a shame you missed out on the company and cakes, but glad it didn't stop you cropping at home. Hope it feels easier soon.

Anonymous said...

We missed you but did notice that there were far, far more cupcakes left at the end of the day than was usual could this be down to your absence?

Lovely pages you have made and hope to see you soon xxx

Sian said...

Oh, Deb! That's miserable Trust you to be able to turn it into a funny story though! I hope things improve for you soon and the cupcake consumption returns to normal levels next month

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I'm sorry you missed this monthly event, Deb, but I have to say that I am very entertained by Karen's comment about the leftover cupcakes. :o) HAHAHA. Hope you're feeling better by now! xo

humel said...

Oh, Deb :( On the plus side, the layout is gorgeous :) (But then, it would still have been gorgeous if you'd made it at the crop - and you'd have had the cupcakes there, too.... I'm not helping, am I?!)

boysmum2 said...

Oh not so good, at least you had somethings to do at home. get well soon

Ginger said...

hi Deb :) You tell a good story and this one was no exception - you had me chuckling away :) I hope your leg and now hip get better very soon! I wanted to say thank you for your many attempts at leaving me a comment, it finally worked and I do appreciate your kind words :)

Andie said...

Oh, your layout is fab! We went to Sorrento in August and you've just given me the kick up the bum I need to go and get those photos printed, thanks.