Thursday 27 October 2011

New book causes drama in the high street

Last year I offered to make the gift tags for the Secret Santa draw at work.  And last year I said 'Never again'.  So how come I currently have a messy dining room table and 22 labels in various stages of completion drying on my sideboard?  Someone has been taking advantage of my senior moments memory  good nature.  You see in my office there are six of us and that would be easy peasy.  But then Finance join in (another 4) and then the Head and her PA, and the lady in charge of reports and predicted grades, our Admissions Officer and a few of the Cover Supervisors, the lady in reprographics and not forgetting someone who transfered to become a Head of Year secretary in another office but still likes to be included with us, oh, and the exams officer that I work with ...  Six would have been lovely, 22 is a whole other ball game!  Memo to self.  Don't make them so fancy this year and remember to say NO if they ask again this time next year!

I've been reading a few pages of my new Pass the Book book and I even have a few ideas of a sample page.  Even printed off a photo that will be the inspiration for the page.  And {get this} I went shopping and bought a special pencil that when you brush water over it, turns to paint!  Yes.  Me.  Buying painting supplies.  Never been known before!  It was such a surprise that a man in the aisle next to me fainted.  That was probably a coincidence - and caused uproar in the shop -"what do I do?  I've never called 999 before"  asks the shop assistant.  "dial 999" says the gentleman's daughter.  "Hello.  Ambulance please.  No, I'm sorry I don't know the post code of the shop.  Does anyone know the postcode of the shop?"  Our town is a one way street and WHSmith is the biggest shop in the middle of the street.  The ambulance centre is half a mile outside of town.  I really don't think they needed a postcode to find it.  By the time I had paid for my painty bits the man had revived and was last heard saying "what did you call an ambulance for?  I'm perfectly ok".  I slunk off before he could say 'Was that really Deb buying something from the artist's department?' 

10 comments:

Ginger said...

Deb you truly have a knack for telling fun stories!! Good thing you got out of there in time:)

alexa said...

Rolling around in my chair here and spluttering in my tea! Wonderfully told! Glad the Painted pages is proving such an inspiration. If not near-expiration for someone adjacent!

Sian said...

You do make me laugh! I can remember those tags from last year - gosh, how did we get back round to that time of year again?!

Ifa said...

LOL, you really made me laugh. Good luck with the tags, hope they turn out ok.

Alison said...

You tell such good stories Deb...I felt the same when I sneaked into a local artshop to buy some gesso(which I have still to use!)
Alison xx

humel said...

Oh, Deb. You really do create havoc and mayhem wherever you go, don't you? You'd better issue a warning next time you go for painting supplies...

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Haha. This is awesome, Debs! :o) xo

And like, Sian, I can remember last year when you said "never again"! ;o)

Lizzie said...

Oh dear... the trouble with being a nice person, is that it can be easy to let others take advantage...
But at least you know it is because you are nice (oh, and good at making tags!).
Great story!

I love your current blog header by the way - it is gorgeous.

Sandie said...

Now that could have been your post for Sian's Storrytelling Sunday this month! You do make me laugh Deb!
I bought some of the paint pencils too as I plan to do art journalling when my life settles a bit (but will that ever happen, I ask?) I have a small wallet with basic art materials and paper in and I've taken it to work occasionally to use in my lunch break. A jar of water and I'm all set. But often I'm too busy for even a break so it doesn't happen :(

Jennifer Grace said...

hee hee, this made me laugh so much I had to read it aloud to my husband! He laughed too. I hope you get good use out of the paint-pencil! x