Sunday 16 December 2012

Simply a moment - December 2012

The darkness in the room tells me that it is early.  And yet I am wide awake.  I strain my ears to try and hear any signs that the boiler may have fired up and hot water has started to pump through the radiators.  Silence.  It's earlier than 6.30am then.  I reach my arm out of the warmth of the bed to press down on my bedside clock.  The illuminated face tell me that it is 5.15am. 
I know that sleep will now evade me.  
Next to me, my husband is fast asleep and snoring loudly.  Sleep is definitely not an option now.  The regular snores are enough to ensure that I will not be able to doze.  Every now and again, through the crack in the blinds I see a light come through and shine a slice of brightness onto our bedroom ceiling.  It is from the house diagonally across from us, they have a motion sensor light on their garage and obviously something is activating it.  Is it the milkman making his early morning deliveries?  Too late for him.  Probably a cat, or possibly a fox heading home towards the cricket field which is at the end of our cul-de-sac.
My mind cannot settle.  Mentally I am making lists; shopping for meals for the coming week, Christmas presents that still need to be bought, work related things. 
I am thirsty.  This makes my mind up.  I will carefully get myself out of bed, wrap myself in the warmth of my fleece dressing gown, put on my slippers and creep out of the bedroom.  Carefully going downstairs to turn off the burglar alarm and enter the kitchen where a sleepy dog yawns, stretches and comes to greet me.  The day has begun.

Pop over to Alexa to read more moments ...

8 comments:

alexa said...

So perfectly descriptive of that waking moment - your writing is so detailed and clear, I felt I knew just what that first moment of the day felt like ... Hoping the cup of something warm was nice, despite the early hour! And thank-you so much for finding time, despite the whirling of everything that needs to be done,to join in. :)

humel said...

Oh, gosh - I've been waking early the last few days, but nothing has tempted me out of bed at that time, not even The Doctor's snores and thoughts of a hot drink!! Lovely writing, Deb x

Amy said...

Oh this is lovely Deb - I have moments like this often!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Wow - I feel like I am there with you. Great writing! I have to work on my moment soon.
Rinda

Miriam said...

Beautifully told moment, I was there with you! I too wake at around 5am these pre Christmas days. x

Cheri said...

Oh poor you! I would totally have moved to another bed or the sofa - I don't do 5:15 a.m.!!!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

:o) I love reading what you write, Deb. This is a great piece, and I smiled to myself thinking about TRYING to sleep after Doug is already there and snoring. Well done.

Becky said...

I loved reading this - I could just imagine you there and know what you mean about being awake and not being able to get back to sleeps, especially when hubbie is snoring next to you!