Tuesday 27 October 2015

What's happening in my world

Earlier this week Rinda wrote an interesting post which was a variation on a meme that she found hereAs I'm home this week there is no excuse for not doing a blog post or two so thought I would join in with the idea.  
 1.  What’s the title of the last book you read? 
I have just finished the last in a trilogy of books written by Jonathan Holt.  They are fabulous!  It's hard to recommend books to people because everyone has their own taste so whilst I feel like shouting from the rooftops that everyone should read these three books I do realise that they may not be everyone's cup of tea.  In order of reading, they are The Abomination - (this may have a different title in some places) The Abduction,and The Traitor.  It's rare that my husband and I both enjoy the same book but he is hooked on these too!  They are mysteries set in Venice and a lot of the activity is linked to US military bases there.  There's a bit of political background going on without it being heavy going.  I'm not spoiling anything by telling that the Carnivia part of the titles refers to a website which has been set up by one of the characters where you can enter the world of Carnivia, which is a realistic copy of Venice, but are completely anonymous.  Needless to say, this gives people the opportunity to lead a double life, to lead a lifestyle or join groups which would be frowned upon or not be permitted in 'real life'. We're talking murders, Masonic groups, kidnapping, a bit of romance and a lot of intrigue. 
 
2.     What is the last thing you cooked at home? 
A friend of mine came for coffee yesterday and brought with her a large bag of windfall apples from the tree in her garden.  I've just peeled and chopped them all and part-cooked them ready to freeze for future apple crumbles.  While they were stewing I made a batch of sultana scones.  I'm looking forward to having one with a coffee after I've finished here!

3.      What is your favorite thing about Fall? 
The colours in the gardens and parks.  The leaves are so beautiful. 
 
4.     Share one thing that challenged you at some point over the last week.
Good job I wasn't doing this last week after the infamous excel melt down incident!  This week I've been trying to get my head around quantities of fabric needed to complete the quilt I'm making for my sister's Christmas present.  I'm not following a pattern, and adapted a quilt square I'd used before in a larger size and let's just say that there have been a few 'oh no, I'm not sure I've got enough of that fabric' moments!  However, with a bit of economical cutting, I've got all 16 squares cut and sewn now and I feel like I'm on the right track again.  But there was a moment ... Here's the work in progress, one more row to add before borders, binding and backing commence! 
 
5.     List three hobbies that you actively pursue or want to pursue. 
Sewing.  It's my number one craft at the moment.  Cooking.  I just love cooking, trying out new recipes and planning dinners.  Mandalas.  I got into these when I was doing the Summer of Colour and then lost the impetus, but it's something I definitely want to get back into doing.
 
6.      What is the most recent sporting event  you watched? 
The rugby.  I drew Australia in the sweepstake at work is in the final so I feel like I have a vested interest even though poor old England were wiped out in the very early stages.
 
7.     Besides watching "live TV," what service do you use to watch TV or films (netflix, on demand, etc.)?
We don't have Netflix or anything like that so if it's not on live tv or 'catch up', I don't see it!
 
8.     Have you started Christmas shopping yet? 
Yes.  It's early for me but I have a couple of presents that need to go overseas and I decided that I must be more organised this year rather than queuing at the post office on the last posting date.
 
9.      Do you have any upcoming trips?
No.  I have a few ideas of things I'd like to do next year but will wait until the New Year to actually book anything.
 
10.    Do you remember your dreams? 
Yes.  Vividly.  Colours, conversations - everything.  Not every day, but when I do recall them they are crystal clear.
 
So that's what's happening in my world; if you fancy joining in copy and paste the list and jump right in!
 
1.     What’s the title of the last book you read?
2.     What is the last thing you cooked at home? 
3.      What is your favorite thing about Fall? 
4.     Share one thing that challenged you at some point over the last week.
5.     List three hobbies that you actively pursue or want to pursue. 
6.      What is the most recent sporting event  you watched? 
7.     Besides watching "live TV," what service do you use to watch TV or films (netflix, on demand, etc.)?
8.     Have you started Christmas shopping yet? 
9.      Do you have any upcoming trips?
10.    Do you remember your dreams? 

 

7 comments:

Sian said...

I wonder what that says about us? I'm a big dream remember-er too and I'm always trying to tell them here what I was dreaming about. Tho this morning TSO said she had a dream about having ear surgery ..and about an hour ago she announced she had a sore ear! I'm rambling now..back to your answers, which of course I loved reading. These are good questions

Maria Ontiveros said...

So much fun to read your answers. That quilt is lovely. I might check out those books, since I loved the time we spent in Venice. Thanks for the recommendation.
Rinda

alexa said...

oh, a trilogy recommendation is always welcome, especially for autumn and winter :). Fascinating to read your replies; I remember dreams too, though some more clearly than others. Your quilt looks beautiful - such pretty colours. Does she know it's coming, or is it going to be a surprise?

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

This was a fun read, Deb. I especially love that drawing mandalas was among the list of your hobbies! :o) And the quilt for your sister is beautiful!!!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

It's always interesting to read the answers to these type of questions. That quilt is such a special gift.

Linda said...

Interesting post! Love your quilt, such lovely colours. The books sound interesting, might have to put them on my 'to-read' list. This year I challenged myself to read 20 books and am now on my 18th so hoping to make it!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, there were a couple of different questions this time from Kenlie's, wish I'd used them instead of a couple she had. :) The quilt is looking lovely.