Wednesday 19 December 2018

Trend setting

Well who would've thought it?  I actually seem to have inadvertently bought something today that is ahead of the game.

I found myself on the Pantone Colour of the Year 2019 webpage this afternoon and was immediately taken by the colour they have chosen, Living Coral.  I also loved the colour palette that they are recommending as being on trend for the new year.

Rewind a few hours to me browsing round the shops in town.  Knowing that my mother in law will be gifting me some money for Christmas I headed for White Stuff where they have their pre Christmas 50% sale.  A few weeks ago I had bought a navy cord skirt with colourful motifs sewn into it.  

'I've got lots of things I could wear with that' I thought.  However ... once home I realised that I don't.  I have one top that goes well with it but the other things I thought of either weren't the right colour or the right length to wear with a skirt.  The motifs are bold and pastel colours don't look right for it.  I knew exactly what I was looking for.  

I had seen this top


but at £42 it seemed quite overpriced - don't you agree?  It's only made of cotton jersey, no fancy fabric.  But today with £42 crossed out and £19 written in red on the label I did not hesitate to buy it.

And now look - it is so similar to the Living Coral colour!


I have mentioned in the past that I've been trying to introduce new colours and styles to my wardrobe now I don't have to stick to an office place dress code.  I've found a few new blogs that I follow and one in particular is Jodie's Touch of Style.  She has a fun format where she takes one look and styles it between herself (over 50) her step mum (over 70) and her mum (over 80).  I've definitely been more brave in my colours and mixing and matching patterns since reading her blog.  Obviously, being based in the US some of the trends are not in our UK shops but it's good to pick out a few pointers.  There's also Gail at Is This Mutton?  It wasn't until I'd been reading her blog for a while that I realised that she lives in the next County to me - I wonder if we've ever passed in crowd and not realised?  One blog I really love and whole heartedly recommend is UK based Midlife Chic - it's so interesting, lifestyle and fashion.  Nikki has been involved in the fashion industry for years and works alongside brands whose target audience is 'midlifers'.    She gives an honest opinion of styles, tries on the clothes and shows you what they look like on a 'real woman' - if you have an interest in fashion please do head over and check them out.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Always good to be ahead of a trend! That skirt looks lovely and the top was a bargain!

Patio Postcards said...

You scored big on the top & that skirt has so much potential ... who knows what else you can find in the sales. Thanks for the link connections & recommendations.