Monday 23 December 2019

Not long to wait now

What day of the week is it?  They are all merging into one.  At 7am this morning I was in Tesco buying all my vegetables and last minute forgotten items so I feel like it's been a long day already!  It's nice to sit here quietly with a cup of coffee and check over blog posts although I strongly suspect there is something I should really be doing in the run up to Christmas Day.

I'm trying to tell myself, it's just like a normal Sunday roast and I'm only cooking for 8 so I should not get myself stressed should I?  I have a fridge full of food, a box in the garage full of veggies, and a timetable spreadsheet co-ordinating the cooking times of each bit of the meal so there is no excuse for being either hungry or disorganised is there?  

I know from experience though that things can easily go off course!  We traditionally have a glass of fizz with our breakfast of smoked salmon with scrambled eggs - and then Paul will take Coco for a walk while I start on the cooking.  Normally things go ok until the first guest arrives and I get talking or start offering drinks and forget about that highly organised timetable!  Although we all know that no one really cares if everything gets to the table at the time I was expecting it to so I need to just take a deep breath and relax.  If I don't mention what time I think we will be eating no one will know if we are early, late or on time!



I've mentioned before that my Zumba teacher likes us all to dress up from time to time so this was my outfit for the last class before Christmas, the feather boa seemed like a good idea at the time but boy did it get hot and scratchy round my neck after the first few warm up dances.  The sequinned Santa hat also did my hair no favours after 45 minutes of exercise!  So needless to say this will not be my outfit of choice for Wednesday!

Today is going to get busier, we need to go over to Paul's mum's as we aren't going to be seeing her over the next few days, there's cakes to bake for those who don't like traditional Christmas fruit cake (me) and a dog in need of a spa day/groom!

Have a lovely Christmas, remember to factor in some relaxation time in between all the busyness and enjoy yourself!

3 comments:

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

The costumes you gals wear for Zumba sometimes sure add even more fun to the mix. You would make a darling Santa elf!!

Sounds like you have the holiday cooking down to an art. I just do it like I do everything else, flying by the seat of my pants! Cooking a ham and turkey, and all of the things we like with them. We will be 8 for dinner, also. Unless Cami is born between now and then, and that would make 9.

Going to finish my cleaning tomorrow and start the baking. Enjoy your family and your holiday, Deb! Big holiday hugs to you and yours. XO

Patio Postcards said...

Happy Christmas Deb. I hope you & yours have a marvelous Christmas. I'm sure with your plans, Christmas dinner will turn out to be the talk of the day. I can not imagine cooking for 8!

Ruth said...

A bit behind with my blog reading ... but I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas! (And the feather boa suits you!)