Friday 24 April 2020

Popping round to Ruth's

A few weeks ago I received an email from Ruth over at This West London Life asking me if I would write a post as part of a mini series she was featuring on her blog, showing how Covid-19 was affecting lives all over the world.  It's fascinating to see how different countries are reacting to the pandemic, so if you would like to see how life has changed in my little corner of the United Kingdom, please do click HERE.

Since I wrote that post, we have had our lockdown restrictions extended by a further three weeks and we have just completed the first of those extra weeks.  Whilst it would be nice to think that in two weeks we will be back to normal, I think that is just a pipe dream and any return will be very gradual.

So let's think about what positive things have happened recently ...

I won £25 on the Premium Bonds!  It's not a life changing amount but has thrown up its own little dilemma.  How do you pay a cheque into your account when you are in lockdown?  I am hoping that one of the banks in town is still open - maybe on restricted hours - I'm going to venture out later this morning - oh the anticipation! 

Supermarket shelves are well stocked again.  Well, except for flour. It would seem that I'm not the only one filling their time by baking!

Queues to get in the supermarkets are getting shorter.  In fact when I went to Waitrose earlier this week there was no one waiting to get in!  Nor was there a queue at the butcher or the bakery.  What a pleasant surprise.  I was especially pleased by this as I think it's very important for us to support the smaller local shops to save them for the future.  I'm not sure what the residents of our town will ever do if Dorringtons Bakery shuts - their doughnuts are absolutely the best in the country, don't take my word for it, you can ask anyone who lives here.

Our garden is looking tidy and colourful.  We are also growing runner beans, courgettes and tomatoes from seed, all of which are growing well.


Our food waste has reduced dramatically - with weekly meal plans and detailed shopping lists, there are no impulse buys that may not get used and we are buying just the right quantity of what is needed.  

Leo got allocated a place at their first choice of primary school!  It was oversubscribed so it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he would get in but now they can relax.  Now all we have to do is hope that schools are reopened in time for him to start in September.

and finally ...

I leaned a new sewing skill.  Making face masks.  We haven't been told we have to wear them yet, but if that is the next thing to happen - I am prepared!  



6 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Yes it was nice to see you pop round at Ruth's.

I know that face masks will be mandatory for any release from our lock down. We each have one, but I'm going to be hot button hovering over at a local site to get two more & in a different style. Our provincial Premiere won't even discuss a release plan (stages of course) until May 4th, so our May 24th holiday weekend (May 18th actually) will not be happening.

Ruth said...

Thanks for popping over to me today!

We also had a £25 win on the Premium Bonds, but as we automatically reinvest ours, we never actually see the hard cash!

Flour is in short supply in West London as well. But I was able to buy Basmati rice this week, so that's a bonus. I've also noticed shorter queues ... but noticed that people don't seem able to follow the one way system. Grrrr!

Great news that Leo will be able to go his first-choice school ... but how is he old enough to be starting school?!

Barbara Eads said...

Your life sounds pretty much like mine these days. I wish I'd have thought to venture out to the garden center before today. I think it will be too busy over the weekend. Your flowers and plants has made me want to get on with mine!

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Lovely to see you on Ruth's blog and well done on your win. I hope the bank was open. We too are supporting our local shops and anyone else we can think of to keep them going. I'm hoping to get some plants and tidy up the garden a little but not if the queue is huge. I'm not that keen a gardener :)

Cheri said...

Congrats on the win! Our grocery stores are still hit and miss - sugar was gone for a bit but is back now. There has been a shortage of tomato soup for awhile, which finds my husband looking for more every time he ventures out. We are only allowed two bags of frozen vegetables per shopping visit and if you are really trying to space visits out, that is tough. Luckily I stocked up before the restrictions were put in place! Our stay at home is extended to May 8 and unlikely to be lifted then either.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Why, oh, why didn't I learn to sew. Sure could help out some folks around here if I could sew!! Good for you to be doing that, sweet friend.

Glad your stores are well-stocked and easier to get into. Our stores are better stocked, too, but they are just beginning to limit how many folks can be inside at a time. And we have to have on masks.

Yay for Leo to get into their first choice school for next year. Lauren is torn about where to put Lucia. This time out of school/daycare may help make the decision for them. I worry about my 9 year old grand because she makes good grades but struggles at times. And is very sweet and naive. I am afraid she will get eaten alive in 5th grade next year.

Off to check out your post at Ruth's. Stay well.