Thursday 28 May 2020

Moving on ...

... I always felt that going into lockdown was going to be easier than coming out of it, on so many levels.  Trying to get our head around the fact that a teeny tiny bit of freedom may be just around the corner has me with mixed emotions - I'm so excited by the prospect of a little more normal life returning and a little bit anxious about how safe that will be.  I think this poppy in the garden yesterday sums it up perfectly


You can see it is almost making its bid for freedom.  Petals fully formed, straining against the protective pod that it's been hiding inside for weeks, having a little taste of fresh air, but not quite ready to burst into new found freedom.

Unlike me though, this morning I woke to find that it has shaken free and embracing the next stage!

I've found the normality of blogging a calming distraction from the craziness going on around and it makes me realise what a lovely community our group of bloggers are.  When I first started my blog as part of joining in a scrapbooking course run by Shimelle I didn't realise that years later, some of those original bloggers would still be in contact.  In fact recently I've received two lovely pieces of 'happy mail'


One very clever and appropriate post card from Ruth and a hand made card from Rinda (who has fallen by the blogging wayside unfortunately although remains on other social media). Rinda was the organiser of the first photographic scavenger hunt that I took part in, and whilst that no longer happens, I am thrilled that someone else has picked up the baton and this year's list was published this week on Patio Postcards.  Please do pop over there and print off the list, it's such a fun summer project and although we will have to stay closer to home to find things this year, it makes the challenge even more fun!  

In other news, cake of the week this week is lemon and poppyseed, I've used all the advice on Ruth's postcard


In the interests of my waistline I just have to remember rule number four - Serve just enough ... portion control is key!

6 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Thanks Deb for the shout out for the SPSH.

Your poppy photos are lovely & yes how appropriate; Mother Nature leads & shows us the way. I am very hesitate to return to "normal". I think my first fear factor to over come is going in person to grocery shop.

I also received some Ruth Happy Mail - we are blessed to be part of a caring community. For years I was a lurker & finally joined it & have never looked back.

Barbara Eads said...

I love your poppy theme from the flower to the cake! I know what you mean about portion control. But the problem I have is that my hubs doesn't care about sweets. I don't make them too often because I'm the only one eating them. Still sometimes I just have to have something. I usually only make them when friends or family are coming over. During this quarantine time, I've actually made some sweet treats and delivered them to family and friends.

Ruth said...

What a great post! I think you've summed up what a lot of us are thinking and feeling - I know I'm anxious about what the new normal will look like.

I'm glad you liked your postcard - it was perfect for you! It's always lovely to see my Happy Mail pop up on a blog or social media. :)

I was excited to see that Mary-Lou had posted this Summer's Photography Scavenger Hunt list - there'll be a lot more thinking outside the box this year!

Cheri said...

very fitting analogy between the poppy and where we are today. I feel much like you - wanting the freedom and yet nervous about it at the same time!

♥ Liz ♥ said...

It's an anxious time for all I think. I seem to be living in two different worlds at the moment. One at work where all the rules apply and one outside where a lot of people have given up and are going back to their normal. It's a worrying time.

alexa said...

Loved your poppy photo and quite understand your misapprehension: clarity is always more reasuring than fuzziness :). Thank-you for the reminder about the Photography Scavenger Hunt too. That cake looks delicious ...