Sunday 9 August 2020

When life hacks go wrong

We spend a lot of time in our conservatory, it's a really relaxing place to spend time except ... when the doors and windows are open we often have flies come in.  I've investigated several options of fly screens or those long plastic strips (which were old fashioned but now vintage) but we aren't keen to attach anything permanent to the doorway.

So in a search of natural remedies, good old Google was consulted and one hack that kept coming up was to hang outside the door a plastic bag, half filled with water and with some copper coins in the bottom. The idea being that a fly's eye will see the prism of light from the shiny copper in the water and will avoid it.  It sounds feasible and easy to try, and what did we have to lose?

Well, it had only been in the doorway about an hour when we realised that a fly in the conservatory was nothing compared to what else may be attracted to the glittery, shiny lights.  I was in the kitchen when I heard a bit of a kerfuffle in the conservatory and was horrified to find that a magpie had been enticed inside and was flapping around in a scared state trying to find his way out again.  

Obviously this was not something that I could sort out on my own so I quickly shut the door between conservatory and dining room and frantically called for Paul to come and get it out, while hoping that Coco would not leave her morning nap and think that it was her responsibility to get involved.

By the time I'd run upstairs and briefed Paul of the situation, the bird had obviously found its way out, but not before leaving a trail of feathers and poo behind in his panic to get back into the great outdoors.  Yuk.  Needless to say the bag of coins has been removed and if anyone has any ideas for deterring all manner of wildlife into the house, please let me know!

❀❀❀

I've had a bit of a 'wobble' this week.  I don't really know why but I had a very emotional day on Thursday.  It seems to have been prompted by a friend's husband and Paul having a conversation about us all having a weekend away together.  I had a text from my friend to organise a time to discuss dates etc and I panicked.  I had a major feeling of apprehension and I knew that this was not something I felt comfortable with.  I know it seems weird as Paul and I have started going out a little further afield on our own, and we have been to the pub for a meal with these friends, and had them into our house for drinks one evening.  But somehow the thought of staying away with other people and spending a lot of time with them just spooked me and after a a few tears and a sleepless night of worrying how to tell my friend I didn't want to go, I knew I had to just be honest and say I wasn't ready to spend a weekend away with anyone outside our family.   I've said all along that we all need to appreciate other people's feelings and acknowledge that everyone has their own comfort zone which may not be the same as our own and thankfully they seemed to understand.  

I hope no-one else is suffering a low point of the Corona-coaster of emotions, but if you are, let's reassure ourselves that we aren't alone and we must follow our gut feeling about what we are happy to do and what we aren't.  We'll all get to the finish line eventually, and there is no point in forcing ourselves to go faster than feels safe.  I already feel better for being honest and letting people know that I'm not ready to go back to 'normal' just yet.  




6 comments:

Barbara Eads said...

Let me start by saying that I love the word kerfuffle! I've never used it, but need to work it in to a conversation! About going away with friends--I totally get it. We are going out with friends tomorrow for the first time. It's just a day trip, but it's being in the car together for an hour each way that is bothering me. It sounded like such a good idea to start. I've decided to console myself by wearing a mask. Once we reach our destination, it will be all outside.

Ruth said...

I'm sending you a virtual hug as I type this ... you must absolutely only do what you are happy with. Weekends away will still be there in the future.

The magpie story made me chuckle, but I'm unable to offer a better solution. :(

♥ Liz ♥ said...

I totally understand your wobble. We haven't met up with friends yet as we are still finding our way going out by ourselves. You will know when you are ready and it will be an enjoyable time. Until then, look after you.

Susanne said...

Yes, I totally get the wobble, and the tears. I have had more than one teary day this pandemic, and am grateful that expressing the emotion actually gets me back on balance. I have not been in any one else's house since this started, and still limit myself to my best friend's back patio when we visit. Everybody has to do their own thing to feel safe and secure. No need to apologize for that.

Maggie said...

I think I cried almost every day for the first few weeks of this ghastly pandemic. I was anxious and worried. I worried about my ex colleagues (nurses), my daughter, the farm in fact everything. I had arguments with my husband because I didn’t think he was careful enough. I really get that everyone is at different stages and I respect that. I check with every friend what they are comfortable with. We made a really big step this last weekend by having friends to stay in the house. My oldest friend and oh it was so good to see her.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

The year Pinterest came about, I kept seeing the ziplock bag/water/pennies remedy for shooing away flies in a number of pins every time I visited the app. Finally decided to try it and did see some improvement to our fly situation. Can't remember now what I hung the bag from. Hmmm.

Thankful the magpie was able to escape with only the loss of a few feathers. I get all wound up when things like that happen. I get as frantic as the animal who is trying to get back outdoors. We have had stray kitties, dogs, and birds meander into our house.

I haven't cried lately but without much encouragement I could probably tear up any given day. This whole virus has been exhausting. Our numbers are finally looking better but I can't help but worry what the cooler temps and flu season will bring.