Sunday 21 February 2021

It's the little things

 What do a light bulb, a hollyhock plant and fifteen half used balls of wool have in common?

At first glance, nothing springs to mind but those three little things all contributed to a very positive frame of mind at the weekend.

Let's start at the beginning, with the lightbulb.  The one that was in the light above the table in our dining room; the one which blew on Thursday evening.  Not just any old lightbulb, but a special globe shaped, opaque coloured, dimmable one.  We had no spare, and it was not one that could be added to an online grocery order.  A reason to go into town! 

So with a reason to go into town, and with our son's imminent birthday and no shops being open for suitable presents, I ordered him some Levis from John Lewis to be picked up at our local Waitrose.  I could kill two birds with one stone.  On the way into the shop they had a display of plants on offer - four for £12.  One of the varieties on sale was hollyhocks - the exact plants we had decided would look nice growing up against the garden fence which we have painted grey.  It was meant to be!  Jeans collected, hollyhocks (and a lupin) bought, I then walked to the shop which I knew would be open and which also sold the right bulbs.  Once in there, I also picked up some new gardening clogs for Paul, and a few other gardening bits and bobs which we needed. 


It was perfect gardening weather and once I'd returned home, had a coffee and changed into old clothes, we spent a happy day tidying up the flower beds and planting up the new plants.  The more we looked, the more little signs of spring were discovered.  It honestly made such a difference to our moods!



So if the bulb hadn't blown, I wouldn't have gone into town (I'd have ordered the jeans to be delivered to home) I wouldn't have seen the plants and we probably wouldn't have felt inspired to spend the day in the garden.

What else?  Oh yes, the wool.  I've finished my blanket - I'm so pleased with it, and especially love the border to it.  



But it only used half the wool I bought.  Which seems a bit of a waste right?  What's a girl to do?  


Start a new blanket to use up the left overs!  

Happy days!

6 comments:

Susanne said...

Color in the garden and color in the blanket make for happy days indeed!

Patio Postcards said...

Oh my aren't you lucky to have spring flowers blooming in your garden & a treat to in person shopping for garden things. I'm green with envy!

Your finished blanket is really nice & it looks like a perfect place to spent an afternoon reading.

Ruth said...

How lovely that things happened the way that they did - serendipity. :)

It's so great to see signs of Spring - from the office window I can see purple crocus, daffodil shoots (with very few flowers visible yet), fritillary shoots and a few tulip shoots. :)

alexa said...

Oh, I love hollyhocks! I must see if I can find some locally :). Super to see the colour in your garden ... Our almost-six weeks of snow has delayed everything but we do have some green shoots popping up. Your blanket is so lovely - what a splendid place to sit snuggled up under it and read ... A brilliant first project!

Barbara Eads said...

It's hard to believe that it's warm enough to start thinking about the garden plants! You have a nice start there. And your blanket! OMGosh! It's beautiful! I love that border!

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Isn't it great when a plan comes together? Lucky you being able to get out in the garden. When I tried a few weeks ago the ground was still frozen. So far the only bulbs that have come up are two miniature daffodils. Everything else is just green with no flowers. Still at least it's a sign of spring. :0)