Thursday 20 January 2022

Word on the street

 Or should that say 'Wordle on the street'?  

I'd been seeing posts on social media of people sharing grids of black, yellow and green boxes, all tagged with the word 'wordle'. I was intrigued.  So I googled it and found out that it was a daily word game where you have to guess a five letter word in less than six or less tries.  



I should have known that once I'd found out what it was I would have to try it and then that would be it, I'd be hooked.

Here's a screenshot of a blank grid.  You think of a five letter word and enter it.  If you have a correct letter in the wrong place, it turns yellow.  If you have the right letter in the right place it turns green.  Incorrect letters go black.  Then you have a second try given the information you have learnt and so on.  The aim is to find the word in the least goes as possible. My first game was not impressive - it took me six tries to find the word.  But I had learnt from my mistakes and the next day it took me five.  Today I managed it in three - I really enjoy it and it is a nice start to the day to get your brain up and running.

Are you a 'Wordler'?  If you fancy joining in, you can find it here

If you do join in, it's worth mentioning that sometimes they use the same letter twice. And there was a very controversial day last week when apparently they used the American spelling of something which meant there was a 'u' missing in the word.  This did not go down well in the Wordle community in the UK I can tell you! 




5 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I have had several friends send me this Wordle link. It's officially a craze now (lol). What a fun way to keep your brain engaged.

Ruth said...

My friend mentioned this last week and I looked rather blank ... hahaha!

alexa said...

Wordle is a favourite daily activity here - with an element of mild competition! The ability to share your score screen (which blanks out the letters you've used but lets others seen how many goes it took you to guess) is genius. My son, daughter-in-law, daughter, son-in-law, husband and now our two grandchildren (aged 11 and 13 and for whom English is not their first language) are all joining in and posting our results to each other in our family whatsapp group - and commiserating or cheering each other on. Love it too.

Jackie McGuinness said...

My husband and I hopped on the bandwagon this week!

Barbara Eads said...

It's amazing at how quickly you can. become hooked on a new game. I love playing games while watching tv or traveling. I've hear of Wordle, but never tried it. I'll download it and give it a go.