Monday 25 September 2023

Me on Monday

Hello!

There's a TV programme here that may not, at first sight, seem as if it will be interesting.  It's called Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing.  Now I have no interest in fishing but I enjoy this programme.  Two comedians in their mid sixties going to various locations around Britain, fishing local rivers while chatting over the subjects that mid sixty people chat about.  I know, it doesn't sound thrilling does it?  But their friendship and camaraderie shine through their conversations and now and again they say something that really makes you think.  

Last week we saw an episode where Bob Mortimer says something along the lines of the fact that as you get older you get more into the habit of saying 'no' to things.  Then after a while people stop inviting you to join them and you find yourself increasingly alone.  Saying no is the start of the path to isolation. Isn't that true?  

So this weekend I have found myself with that at the back of my mind, and said 'yes' to three invitations!

I've hurt my back.  Really hurt it. Bending down awkwardly to put washing into the machine I felt something twinge and next thing I knew I couldn't stand up!  It's been gradually improving every day especially if I keep standing or walking, it's the sitting down and laying down that is doing me no favours.  (Osteopath appointment booked for lunchtime today!) We had been invited out for dinner with friends to a new restaurant which opened in town and I was really on the verge of cancelling but then I thought about the quote and decided to take painkillers and go.  After all, if I'd stayed home all I would be doing was sitting down so I may as well sit down with friends eating a lovely meal someone else had cooked!  It was a good evening and my back was fine right up until the moment I tried to stand up after sitting for two hours - but a bit of a stretch got it moving again and by the time we'd walked back to the car it wasn't too bad.

Then on Saturday we had spoken about going to an open day at a group of art studios in a nearby town.  I wasn't feeling like it but then ... I thought, the sun is shining, I will be walking around and it will be nice to get out and about rather than sitting at home while Paul went on his own.  I was pleased I went as it was a lovely location and lots of talented artists working in their studios.


Have you ever wondered what happens to old Wii and Nintendo controllers after they die?  They become a sculpture!


The last thing I said Yes to when my immediate thought had been 'no' was booking tickets to see a show at our local arts theatre.  A guy we know is part of an amateur dramatic society and every year they put on a musical.  Every year we think 'we should really support the local community events' and every year we don't get round to it as we don't really enjoy musical theatre.  But we have taken the bull by the horns and booked tickets to see him in this year's production in November.

So, this Monday finds me booked in for a physio apt for my back. I think I have to admit defeat and realise that waiting for it to right itself quickly is a little optimistic. The week ends with our granddaughter Rosie having an operation to insert grommets into her ears to resolve her 'glue ear'.  So all in all a bit of a week of medical appointments!  I hope your weekly plans are a bit more pleasurable!



5 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Sage & timely advice from the fishermen. Just when I was returning to more yes situations, allows comes another surge of Covid :(

I do hope your back improves quickly.

Ruth said...

Goodness, your back sounds painful - do hope it sorts itself out quickly. I agree that we should all probably say yes to more things, but it's not always easy, is it?

Jennifer said...

Oh no - back pain is the worst! I do hope your appointment today and your continual walking/stretching/etc (along with fine pain meds) will help you feel better quickly!! And isn't it so interesting how one comment (on tv, social media or just from a friend) can stick with us and make a real difference in our plans?!? So glad that you do not seem to be on the road to isolation!:) Oh my -

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Oh your back sounds painful. I hope it's better soon. I love Glad you got to say Yes to a few things last week. It does us good to be out with others or going on new adventures. I love Gone Fishing. It's so funny, they stay in amazing places and catch fish every now and again :0)

Barbara Eads said...

OMGosh! I've been preaching to my friends that I am saying "YES" to everything because there will come a time when I have to say "NO!" Perhaps that comes with age. But one thing I know for sure: back problems can curtail all of your activities! I hope yours gets better soon!