Thursday 5 November 2009

Welcome to my Working World

Hello, it's so nice to see you. Do come in, and please excuse the mess. Did you pick up your security pass at reception? Good. So here we are then, ready to discuss the events of my day.
I work part time at a fairly large secondary school in Hertfordshire. About 1200 students at the last count. I work part of my day in the exams office, which is a busy place at the best of times but with Year 11 mock GCSEs starting next week and entries for January modules taking place it's manic.
So let's sit here in the main office where I work for the other hours of my working day, it's quieter in here, but no less busy. Oh, and can I introduce you to my colleague Dany, who is in overall charge of Work Experience but we work very much as a partnership in the months leading up to it. Our girls have just finished their week out in the world of business and we're starting the feedback part of the job.
I want to share something that may seem insignificant to the rest of the world but something that gave us a warm glow this morning and a feeling of 'job well done' all day.
Work experience can be challenging. Some girls know exactly what they want to do and are keen and enthusiastic and it is straightforward to find somewhere for them. It's been tough this year with the credit crunch, businesses don't have the extra staff or time to give up a week to show a 15 year old what they do all day, and quite frankly a lot of places locally haven't survived the recession. Some girls want the impossible, one girl wanted to work at a space station - well, we do have Science College Status so I guess we will always have someone hoping to aim high!
Bearing in mind I had 156 girls to try and find places for, and it's done on first come first served basis, by the time I am down to the last 10, inspiration is seriously lacking. My 156th girl was someone who is not academically inclined, prone to trying to avoid lessons and generally not taking much interest in anything. People told us to not bother taking too much time finding anything as she probably wouldn't turn up anyway.
But something in that comment made Dany and I determined to find something that would hold her interest. I am a firm believer that the 'problem' children are sometimes only a problem as they are bored and don't have any interest in the normal subjects. It is a matter of finding something to grab their imagination and keeping them absorbed. I also feel that everyone needs to feel that their opinion is important, to listen to them and show an interest.
By a convoluted sequence of events and a passing comment when she came to discuss work experience with us, we managed to secure a placement for her at an RAF base in Suffolk, based about 15 mins from where her grandparents lived. It was agreed she could live with them for the week and they would get her there. She absolutely loved it. She went every day, threw herself into whatever they asked of her, is absolutely set on joining the RAF on leaving school. The RAF sent in a glowing report about her, she was a joy to have there and she fitted in from Day 1. She's going back in a couple of weekends time to help out with a display and she has returned to school a more confident, enthusiastic person.
Sometimes you have to accept that a square peg will not fit in the traditional round hole and find the right shaped home for them. We honestly feel that a few extra hours finding something out of the ordinary for her might just have turned her life around.
Gosh, is that the time? The going home bell will be going any minute, thanks for popping in. See you again sometime I hope!

12 comments:

Heather said...

great story! must be nice to make a difference to people every day :)

Tracy said...

I loved your post, really intriguing and a lovely story.

Denise said...

What a lovely story - just shows you doesn't it ? well done you xxx

DragonsLady said...

Wonderful story. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I will be back to see what else you write. DragonsLady from Shimelle's class.

Mandymo said...

Really enjoyed reading your post today. That young girl will always look on her work experience as a life changing thing - wonderful! I'm a Governor at our local Primary School and today we were discussing how school is so focused on the '3 R's' that kids who have talent in other areas are so often overlooked and it's so true.

scrappyjacky said...

As a teacher....I love this post...what a wonderful story...and so hope she has now found her niche in life.

Anonymous said...

I love your journalling style and a huge congratulations on making such a difference to a child's life.

Mary B said...

Brilliant love how you make the story so interesting and such a rewarding story too.l

Anonymous said...

what a brilliant post, I loved the way you wrote it, and I love that you found the right job for you girl. I also work in a school and I am most intrigued by the 'square pegs'

JO SOWERBY said...

i loved this story, it makes u appreciate how important it is to really ''see'' someone and not their ''problems or flaws''.
jo xxx

Amy said...

this is a great story - well done to make the effort, I'm sure she will appreciate that one day.

Kathy M said...

I hope that my kids have someone like you looking out for them at school. Great story.