Wednesday 30 June 2010

Catching up

With Shimelle's class approaching, I thought I had better get a move on with my Portugal album so last night while everyone else was out, I got another couple of pages done. These pages relate to the day we went to Lagos.

We popped into the fish market opposite the harbour and went up onto the roof to take some pictures. Normally when we go past it must be later in the morning as the stalls are cleared - fish markets sell out early over there! But this time we were lucky and managed to see some of the local delicacies. When you think of Portugal, you immediately think of sardines but on the left hand page, the photo on it's own shows a fish typical to that area - Espada. We first came across this fish when we went to Madeira back in the early 80s and we were told that they live so deep in the ocean that they have never been able to bring one to the surface alive. Rumour has it that even Jacques Cousteau had tried and failed! They really are beautiful ugly fish (if you know what I mean!) the silver of their skin looks completely metallic so for the educational part of my post today, here's a close up!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words on my travelling son. If I get any updates on his journey I will pass them on! Meanwhile I'm trying to keep myself busy so maybe there'll be a bit more scrapbooking to my blog in the next few weeks ...

7 comments:

Sian said...

And I hope that daughter of yours is feeling much better after her trip to the hospital too :)

Very educational! I didn't know that about the fish.

Denise said...

I remember my friend Jayne telling me about these fish and how ugly they werewhen she went to Madeira !Nice to see a photo of one x

Jennifer Grace said...

Wow they do look very shiny silver don't they! I'll look forward to seeing some more of your pages :-)

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Your Portugal album is progressing quite nicely, Deb! I just love the shape you have chosen.

And those fish? Wow. I've never seen anything like it.

Enjoy your day! xo

Rachel Brett said...

Amazing! It lookslike they have been polished! Lol. Great album Deb.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Ooooh. Love the silver picture!
Rinda

Ruth said...

Ah, Esapada fish ... so ugly, but so yummy!