Monday 25 February 2019

Me on Monday

 Hello - and where does the last Monday in February find me?



Admiring the gorgeous roses that Ruth gave me when we met up in Cambridge on Friday.  Do you know Ruth?  For those of you who don't, pop over to her blog where you can find all about her.  I first 'met' Ruth when we were both part of a course run by Shimelle, called something like Blogging for Scrapbookers.  We're going back about 10 years here!  And although reading her lovely blog is part of my daily routine, even after all these years we had never met.  So when she contacted me to say she was going to be in Cambridge over half term, I couldn't turn down the opportunity to meet her in real life.  I am happy to report that she is as lovely in person as she is on her blog and I thoroughly enjoyed our time together, and I especially loved the fact that I was also able to meet her charming son!


So that really was the highlight of a week in which I received the surprising results of that blood test I had taken a while ago.  Turns out that I am pre-diabetic and also have raised cholesterol.  I guessed that the latter may have been the case, given my age and love of all things chocolate but I really didn't expect the first bit.  I think (thought?) that I have a healthy diet, we never have 'fast food' and I always cook our meals from scratch at home, avoid processed foods, and try hard to get the '5 a day' fruit and veg into our meals.  So I'm not sure really how I can make too many changes.  I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse next week so I'll learn more then.  In the meantime I'm trying to just limit the amount of carbs I eat in the hope that helps.

I started this post on a very happy note, so let's try and forget that worrying bit in the middle and end on another happy thought.  We went to the Mini garage on Saturday and this little beauty will be mine by the beginning of March ...



😊

6 comments:

Ruth said...

It was so very lovely to meet you last Friday! I do hope the university can make it work for next year ...
I'm sorry to hear about the pre-diabetic thing and hope that a few tweaks here and there will help matters.

Patio Postcards said...

What a wonderful thing for all of you to meet up - those roses are beautiful.

Thank goodness you had those blood tests - better to find out at the pre stage & be able to do something now - surely it is scary. Smart to go visit with the dietitian nurse & get things tweaked.

Oh a do like your mini, what a wonderful treat for you.

Sandra said...

You’ve made me very happy and bought back a lovely memory. I made so many friends through blogging for scrapbookers. Also the fact you still do me on a Monday also has really made my day. Thank you. Youre going to solove your mini. Let the count down begin

Jodie's Touch of Style said...

How wonderful to meet up with Ruth...that is such a fabulous part of blogging.
One of my friends is a diabetic nurse, so I bet you'll get some interesting help from her. I was surprised at some of the things she'd share with us from time to time.
XOXO
Jodie
www.jtouchofstyle.com

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Oh, Debs, so glad you and Ruth were able to finally meet. Is the scrapbooking blog still something you read/participate in? I need encouragement to get back to scrapping more regularly. Will stop by Ruth's and introduce myself.

Glad you have the results back from your blood work. Waiting and worrying is the worst. Now you can move forward toward 'fixing' things. I am sure eating healthy like you do, that there will be just some little tweaks to your lifestyle or diet that will make the difference in your pre-diabetes.

Adore your new ride! That color is just lovely. So feminine and pretty. Looks like a pearly blush color from the photo. We will need a photo from the driver's seat once you take your baby home!

alexa said...

Having had the pleasure of meeting Ruth myself, I can echo wholeheartedly your words :). It is a special pleasure meeting a blog friend .. Hoping the medical things sort themselves out and you are able to enjoy your new vehicle - isn't she smart?