Friday 1 February 2019

Stepping outside my comfort zone

I'm very mindful of the fact that I need to keep my brain and body active now I am home all day and love the idea from Leslie's blog of trying to find at least one thing a month that makes you step outside your comfort zone.

So what challenge did I find this month? Well two challenges in one really.  One is being brave enough to post a photo of me in gym leggings.  I'm sorry about this, those of you of a nervous disposition please look away now ...


Let me take you back to the start of the New Year.

The lady who runs the Zumba class that I go to sent out a message to everyone to say she was starting a new class called Barre Fitness.  (Not to be confused with the other kind of Bar Fitness that involves a gin and tonic in the pub!)

I had visions of leotards and satin ballet shoes, graceful movements and serene music and questioned whether or not it was suitable for an old bird like me. She assured me it was and that unlike Zumba which concentrates on cardio and keeping moving, this was more measured exercises to tone those muscles Zumba cannot reach. I didn't know anyone else that would be going so it would be a new exercise, in a new location, with total strangers.  This is definitely NOT my comfort zone.  If you met me for the first time you would probably think I was chatty and friendly but these are just a cover up for shyness.  But, there was a free introductory class, what did I have to lose?

Well, ladies.  It was quite intense.  I realised that my sense of balance is not all it should be and my 'glutes' were not happy about being woken up from their long sleep since I last used them.  The following day I limped around, far from being rejuvenated, I felt like I had turned into someone who could not go downstairs without saying 'ouch' on every step.  

However, I decided to go back a second time.  Last week we added strength bands to the arm exercises.  We concentrated on those dreaded 'glutes', we kept a beautiful posture while trying hard to follow what the instructor was doing.  I ached.  My husband asked 'are you enjoying it? It's very different to anything you've done before'.  At that point I doubted I'd return.

But a week between lessons is a long time and on Wednesday I found myself putting on the dreaded leggings and despite freezing temperatures, I headed off to my class.  This week she added some upbeat music to the exercise, and when we got to that bit where you work on your glutes, my right side didn't hurt as much.  Am I suddenly doing the exercises properly?  Or, it is remotely possible that maybe, just a tiny bit of maybe, my muscles are starting to respond?  

Onwards and upwards - I definitely stepped outside my comfort zone, it was definitely my uncomfortable zone but I think it may be worth sticking with.

  

8 comments:

Ruth said...

Well done you! It's always uncomfortable stepping out of your comfort zone, but you seem to be doing just fine. I should see if Barre Fit is offered at my gym ...

Patio Postcards said...

You look just fine in your gym leggings. Well done you sticking with the new class, just think how limber you'll be in 6 months time!

Natalie said...

Well done, Deb! Keep sticking with your barre fit class, and you'll be so toned and strong. I see a beach holiday coming :)

Tanza Erlambang said...

I believe that you seem to be doing just excellent.
have a great day

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

I am so proud of you! Way to put on those leggings and go back again! Twice was about as much as I could do. My husband asked if I enjoyed it and I couldn't really say I did. Guess I am more of a runner. We used bands and balls and weights, I think. Exhausting. So, my hat is off to you, dear friend. Great work.

Laura said...

Good for you!

alexa said...

Great stuff! Sending you warm congrats on going despite the after effects and encouragement to stick at it. I need to take a leaf out of your book and keep moving :).

Cheri said...

You look fantastic in your gym clothes. I tried barre fitness once - and never went back. It nearly killed me. So congrats to you for sticking with it!