Monday 12 August 2024

Me on Monday

 I'm a little late typing up my Monday post today.  I think I'm losing track of which day it is!  I had an early morning coffee date with a friend at our usual farm shop.  We try and meet up about once every six weeks and this place is about 20 mins drive between both of us.  Except just before I left this morning I checked on Google Maps to make sure there were no traffic hold ups and saw it was diverting traffic way out into the countryside as there was a road closure.  What a good job I checked in good time, there is nothing worse than suddenly seeing a sign that says 'Road ahead closed, follow diversion signs' because you know that your journey time is about to be doubled!

So we completely put the world to rights and caught up on each other's news over a cappuccino and an almond croissant when I suddenly had an 'oh no, I haven't done a blog post' thought cross my mind.

I have a new project.  I saw Rachel wearing a lovely crochet cardigan last week and when I commented on it, she said she would like one in a different colour.  I could do that!  So I ordered the wool as soon as I got home and anxiously stalked the postman  for my special delivery.  It arrived on Saturday and by the evening I had this on my blocking board.


The cardigan is 20 of these squares joined together and I'm so excited to see how it turns out.  I've never made something without a pattern before!  I've already realised that I'm probably going to need an extra ball of black yarn but that is easily rectified.

Did you enjoy the Olympics?  I did feel at the end of the two weeks I was somewhat 'Olympic-ed out' as it was on tv all the time but the events I enjoyed were so good to watch.  It's so inspiring to see those athletes perform at such high levels.

I need to give some thought as to what I will do with the grandchildren this week.  Last week involved strawberry picking and theatre trips.  We're considering letting Leo and Rosie earn some extra pocket money tomorrow washing our cars.  Hopefully running riot with the hose pipe will keep them cool and occupied in the hot weather!

Have a good week x

4 comments:

Ruth said...

I feel as though I'll have Olympics Withdrawal Syndrome this week!
I'm intrigued to see what the finished crochet garment is going to look like.

Jennifer said...

Well, your post may have been delayed but at least you got a good croissant and solved the world's problems before lunch!! I cannot say that I am sorry the Olympics have come to an end. That seemed super long...and so much drama!! Here's to a fun week of creating with yarn and whatever else might be store with those grands!!:)

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Knowing nothing about crochet, I can't imagine how you just went about creating this block without a pattern but I am so impressed. That cardigan is going to be so cute. Please ask her to model for a picture when you finish and she wears it the first time. I am contemplating taking a crochet class this fall because I have loved all of the beautiful things you have created. But will be terribly disappointed in myself if I can't do it well. And I have so many other things I still love and want to do. Do I really have time for another craft? But yes, surely I do!!

We watched less of the Olympics than I had thought. I think because our beach trip came right in the middle and interrupted our viewing.

I had a similar detour sneak up on me on the way home from subbing yesterday. Was at the foot of the mountain road trying to go across when I ran into barrels closing all lanes and had to turn around and go all the way back around town to get home. Lauren looked it up on the Internet and discovered an 18-wheeler had spilled its load in the middle of the night and it had taken and was still taking all day to clean it up. Frustrating. I was ready to be home!!

Barbara Eads said...

I love the colors of your new project. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I agree, I got sort of bored with the Olympics and then forgot to watch the closing ceremony!