Friday 27 March 2020

Feelings

...

Last night, at 8pm people all over the UK stood at their front doors or windows and clapped their hands as a show of gratitude for all that the NHS workers and carers are doing for us at this unprecedented time of Coronavirus.  We are told to stay home and safely isolate ourselves while they are having to turn up for their shifts day after day, dealing with the most sick and vulnerable.  Their dedication for duty is unbelievable and there is little that we can let them know just how much we appreciate all they do other than stand together and give a round of applause.  As I stood at our front door, I could hear my handclaps being echoed around town, it was an emotional time.

So today, as my little sign says 'Today I'm feeling grateful'

Grateful for


  • the fact I live in a country where our health service is free to use and available to all
  • the fact that we had a family meal together with all our family just days before the 'stay at home' message was received
  • the fact that we have a beautiful country park just minutes from our house so dog walking can happen frequently and in lovely surroundings with plenty of room for perfect 'social distancing'
  • the fact that we have a garden and the perfect excuse to get out in the sunshine when ever we wish
  • technology which means that my exercise class can take place on line, plus I can do some extra Joe Wicks 10 minute classes -  we're going to be a nation of keep fit fanatics at the end of this!
  • a well stocked kitchen and the knowledge of how to use up left overs and make a variety of meals from not very many ingredients
  • Bloggers who keep blogging through this and give me a welcome distraction when good news seems sadly lacking from the news reports
But I am also concerned

  • our little grandson Max is poorly and has been to hospital twice in the last two days with a very high temperature and being very listless.  They think it is 'just' a virus but at the moment you can't help but be concerned.
  • for my daughter, whose job has come to an end.  She works for an estate agent and no one is buying or selling houses in the foreseeable future.
  • for my grandson Leo, who suddenly has no nursery school to go to, he can't see nanny and grandad or meet up to play with his friends.  It's a confusing time to be three.
  • how long this will go on for and how it will impact on the mental health of so many
I am also concerned about the effect this will have on my waistline as I find cooking is a good way to spend spare time and there is no end of delicious recipes being shown on tv using store cupboard essentials (I'm looking at you Jamie Oliver, taunting me with that delicious eggless chocolate cake that ends up being 438 calories a serving!) *

*Yes of course I'm going to be cooking it for dessert tonight

7 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Deb what a lovely encouraging post. Some days it is hard to dig for the positives in our new normal life. I heard this morning that world wide, the W H O has started an initiative for hospitals around the world to start using certain drugs in the fight against COVID-19. I'll keep sending positive energy for Max.

Yes I agree Jamie Oliver has a lot to answer for ...

Ruth said...

I couldn't see our neighbours last night, but I could certainly hear them! Tilly added a few barks for good measure. I also found it quite emotional.

I'm so sorry to hear about poorly Max and the news about Rachel's job - we are certainly living in difficult times - I'm thinking of you and yours.

TBC is following Joe's 9am daily classes; I should look for his 10 minute sessions and beginners' yoga. I'm grateful that we own a dog!

Cheri said...

Wishing Max a speedy recovery. I know the whole world is trying to balance gratitude against concerns and fears right now. It may be the first time we are universally united in wanting a similar outcome.

I'm busy sewing face masks in what little spare time I have between job search/business building activities and online classes. All of which are intentionally designed to stop me from thinking about food!

alexa said...

Oh, I hope that Max improves very soon, and you are all able to rest easy ... and so sorry about Rachel - that's really tough :(. I can really understand where you are coming from ... and also lovely to read the items on your grateful list, to which I mentally added 'tick, tick' as I read down them. I've been grateful for the lovely sunshine (though we have a very cold east wind up here) the last few days.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

So glad to read this post and to know how you are doing. Now I am worried about Leo, too. Hope they will continue to take him to the doctor if he isn't soon better. We were appalled that the emergency room sent my mother home - she had to call for a ride!! - had no shoes, no clothes, no money because she arrived by ambulance to the ER. And she was right back in there the following day sicker than ever.

I had seen that the UK was giving a round of applause to health care providers. I hope there was a tremendous response. We should do the same thing here, and follow your good lead. At my oldest daughter's hospital where she is a NICU nurse, they have one confirmed case and 25 suspected cases. The nurses are worked to death. And are running out of antibacterial wipes. I worry for all of them.

Please make your cake and share the recipe with me for an Easter recipe swap and blog hop!!

Barbara Eads said...

You are so right about the positive things we have in our lives right now. I cannot imagine what it would be like going through this without the technology we have today. We FaceTime with our family---all of them at the same time. That's such a Godsend! But I understand your worry for your little grandson. It's such a scary time! I'm so happy you are staying safe and healthy!

Catherine said...

I spend my time trying to remain calm, plan and cook meals and doing more housework than usual with lots of knitting and singing with Gareth Malone online. I try to avoid too many news reports too. All my daughters are doctors so worry for each and every one and their families but so proud of them too. At the end of this first real week of isolation and after 2 weeks of social distancing I wonder if we will manage to get through without any rows or words. It is difficult for my husband to always have his mother in law here and he is being great about it. It was the only thing to do.
We got three bags of early new potatoes a few weeks back so he has planted those in deep barrels. Hopefully we shall have new potatoes to enjoy. I’m sure prices in the shops will skyrocket when this is all over. Tomato plants have been transplanted and adorn the spare bedroom windowsill.
I hope Max gets well soon. So very worrying for you all.