Sunday 10 January 2021

What day is it?

It's amazing how, without the structure of going places and seeing people, the days are all merging into one.  I have a meal plan going for two week periods and sometimes the only way I know what day it is by what we're having for dinner that night!

Anyone thinking I'm super organised is mistaken, the only reason I have a two week meal plan is because we've gone back to food deliveries rather than going to the supermarket ourselves!  And still I can guarantee there will be something that I forget to order.  Last week I was concentrating so hard on the ingredients for the main meals I didn't order basics like apples and bananas!

This lockdown is certainly a time for enforcing differences  to normal behaviour and this was brought home to me on Friday when I 'attended' the funeral of a lady I used to work with.  The congregation participated by watching a live stream of the service on Youtube.  I think this would have amused my friend so much, for someone who didn't embrace 'new' technology (she was 87 and preferred the old ways of letter writing and card sending to a quick email!) to be beamed around the world on the internet.  She was a keen and loud singer in church, although in the words of Morecambe and Wise she would 'hit all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.'  So the fact that the family who did attend the service could listen to the hymns but due to Covid restrictions not be allowed to join in would, I think, have brought a wry smile to her face.  

It's cold here today.  Freezing cold, as the photos shown above taken on our morning dog walk show.  But we were wrapped up warm and the countryside was absolutely beautiful with the hoar frost clinging to trees and grass.  The ducks on the frozen lake were just standing around, seemingly walking on water, it really was beautiful.  Now home to prepare a Moroccan lamb tagine for lunch, the next episode of Bridgerton waiting to be watched and another day of lockdown to tick off on the diary.  

6 comments:

Barbara Eads said...

Your photos are beautiful. It's cold here and there's a threat of snow for tomorrow. I don't get my hopes up because it's pretty rare for Nashville to get more than a light dusting that melts away in no time! Also, I know what you mean about all the days seeming the same. I noticed it especially over the holidays that were so different from what we're used to. As a result, I had no idea what day of the week it was! About Brigerton: well, I would like to know what you think. I binged it and was a bit disappointed. I expected more from Shonda Rymes. Personally, I don't think anyone makes period pieces about England better than the Brits! They are my favorites!

Ruth said...

I have to check The Boy Child's homeschooling timetable to be certain what day it is, so you're not alone in not knowing what day it is.

I had hoped the cold would keep people out of the parks when I'm out with Tilly, but no such luck - I spend a huge amount of time dodging people, to the point of ending up in the bushes!

I haven't seen Brigerton yet, but it's on my radar - not sure if it's The Brainy One's cup of tea, though ...

alexa said...

Good to read that, despite the restrictions, your friend's life was honoured by her friends and family. Brrr, there's a chill to your photos. We're rejoicing here because the temperature has risen to just over freezing for the first time in five days - there are rumours of a balmy 6C later in the week. We'll be breaking out the shorts :). Coco seems to enjoy being out whatever the weather? Yes, the days all merge, don't they. The worst thing I find, is that it is possible to achieve so little in a day - I find myself thinking "Ah, well, there's always tomorrow".

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

Those lovely photos perfectly capture the frigid temps. It was very chilly here, today. Going to be very, very cold in the morning and Lauren has invited me to come help with the girls. I will need to really bundle up and then really bundle them up. Was very surprised by the invitation but tickled!! Could hear Lucia screaming YAY!! when I agreed to go over.

Paul's mother has been waiting for this dreaded virus to disappear so we can have his father's memorial service. Don't know when that will ever happen. Sounds like the memorial service you 'attended' was quite interesting. No singing by the family, huh? Oh, these crazy times.

Patio Postcards said...

Your photos captured the chill. I don't think dogs with naturally thick coats mind the cold & Coco seems to enjoy each adventure out with you.

I am glad you could participate in your friend's celebration of life.

My post today (Monday) I think sums up the merging of time, days, tasks, meals ...

Susanne said...

Since the new year, I have tried to keep busier and that is actually helping a little - at least I am cognizant of weekends versus weekdays, although the activities around here are almost indistinguishable.