Friday 7 April 2023

Let's sit and have a cup of coffee - 7 April

 Thank you so much for taking time out of your Easter weekend to come and visit.  



It's Good Friday so there are plenty of Hot Cross Buns to go round.  Do you like yours cold or toasted? Buttered or with jam?  When I was young, you could only buy Hot Cross Buns at Easter and there was something very special about them, melting butter oozing into the soft, spicy bun.  Nowadays you can buy them all year round, which has taken some of the 'specialness' away.

April certainly came in with its traditional April showers.  Not so much showers on the first day, more like torrential downpours and there was awful flooding in the next town along from us.  It was so bad that it was actually cut off in both directions at one point.  Today, however, has dawned bright, warm and sunny - just right for a Bank Holiday.  

Do you have plans for the Easter weekend?  We keep to the tradition of fish on Good Friday so R and family are coming for fish and chips tonight (their kitchen is still completed gutted so no cooking going on there!) The only other plans we have are for all the family to come here for Easter Monday and I'm planning to repeat the meal I cooked for Mother's Day and keeping my fingers crossed that everyone is well enough to enjoy it this time 🤞

Have a lovely weekend; let me know how you plan to celebrate the Easter break.  

4 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Why thank you, I'll have a toasted, just buttered hot cross bun with my tea. I know what you mean about the special-ness of hot cross buns at Easter only & I buy only at Easter; the rest of the year it will be thick cut raisin cinnamon bread :) Oh that poor town with the flooding, hopefully everything & everyone has dried out now.

No plans for today in spite of being a stat holiday, we have a doctor's appointment for Mr Man, another post eye surgery check in. This doctor seems to work every hour that God sends, he's very dedicated. I'll watch an on-line Good Friday service as my church is closed - post Covid outbreak caution.

Yes, why thank you, another toasted bun, you are too kind. That will have to be the last today.

I hope the family time means everyone is healthy. Will there be an Easter Egg Hunt on Sunday in the back garden or is something planned locally for all the children? I am sure Coco will love to help with the hunt. Well ta for tea & buns, I must dash off, I'm sure I have a pair of Easter Bunny hair clip in ears to wear, just to find. Happy Easter.

alexa said...

Lovely to pop in and have a cup of coffee with you! Indeed, it seems a shame that things which were particular to a season are available all year round - I'm quite expecting there to be Christmas things available in July any year now! - but we tend to be traditional here. As it's Easter Monday as I type, I am expecting you to be up to your eyes in food prep for all the family arriving today, and am guessing any cups of coffee will be on the hoof! Here we're preparing for a week of lovely grandchild-care, so please pop over and scrape me off the floor next Monday :). Wishing you a very happy Eastertime.

Ruth said...

I like a hot cross bun either way, but only with butter, no jam.
We had a quiet Easter, which I think we all actually preferred, and I hope you and yours had a lovely time together.

Barbara Eads said...

I have never had a hot cross bun. When I'm in England in September, I think I'll look for them.