Tuesday 2 June 2020

A sentence a day in May

Who would have thought that we would be spending yet another month in lockdown?
This will go down as the strangest May that we have seen!  One sentence every day - let's go!

Day 1 Oh May, you are not starting well - so much rain!  

Day 2 Coco went to the dog groomers - at least one person in our family is looking smart again ...

Day 3 Family Zoom chat in the afternoon #missingthemallsomuch

Day 4 I've never been so organised with my washing and ironing - what has lockdown brought me to?

Day 5 Picked up our first ever Click and Collect supermarket shop - very impressed, everything I ordered was there, only a couple of substitutions which were perfectly ok and no queue, will be doing that again!

Day 6 I was in baking overdrive this morning, a Victoria Sandwich cake, a dozen rock cakes and home made flatbreads - there go another couple of inches on my waistline!

Day 7 Was fed up with wearing casual clothes and trainers, it's been so long since I wore 'real' shoes so I actually made an effort and put on a smart skirt and top with my new espadrilles - haven't been out the box since I got them in March!



Day 8 75th anniversary of VE Day and my sister's 70th birthday - her proper celebrations are going to have to wait!

Day 9 Coco was very excited to discover the local pet shop has reopened - and naturally insisted on going there to replenish her supply of treats - from a safe distance from the counter of course!

Day 10 Had a lovely long dog walk this morning, mostly because we knew the weather report was for temperatures to drop dramatically in the afternoon and the second walk of the day would be much shorter.

Day 11 Felt a bit low today, and the news briefing from the Prime Minister this evening explaining the 'road map' to lowering restrictions to lockdown did nothing to boost my spirits.

Day 12 Another day, another cake - baked a coffee and walnut cake after my Zumba class this morning and made sure I froze half immediately so we do not feel obliged to eat it all up before it goes stale!




Day 13 Did an interactive short quiz on youtube in the evening, you download an app to your phone which connects you to a quiz on another device - nearly 2000 people were taking part and we ended up 521st, which didn't feel too bad for our first go and not knowing exactly what to expect.

Day 14 Felt a bit down today - funny how some days these restrictions hit you harder than others

Day 15 An unexpected visitor, Jon arrived to visit us with Max, we had to stay outside and walk around over the park but it really lifted my spirits.




Day 16 Ordered our first takeaway meal since lockdown and was sadly disappointed; when we used to eat in the restaurant it was always delicious but this was not up to their normal high standards

Day 17 Cooked a full traditional Roast Lamb Sunday lunch, it was so nice and made up for last night's disappointment!

Day 18 Went over to Paul's mum's house to do some gardening in preparation for being able to put it up for sale sometime soon and managed to pop into a garden centre on the way home to buy some bedding plants





Day 19 She's looking pretty chilled out sunbathing in the garden doesn't she?  Looking so innocent, who would believe she had us up at 4am to go out in the garden because she'd heard foxes fighting out the front of our house




Day 20 Our daughter has had no hot water for 2 days and needed to have an emergency plumber in to sort out her boiler so she decamped to our garden while he was there




Day 21 Cake of the week - chocolate sponge with raspberry jam and vanilla buttercream




Day 22 Jon and Max popped over for a quick visit, was so lovely to see them again.

Day 23 Weather was really windy, took us by surprise after the lovely sunny calm days we have been having.

Day 24 After last week's traditional roast, this week I defrosted a joint of meat I had in the freezer and we had roast Pork #notthesameonlycookingitfortwo

Day 25 Bank Holiday Monday - discovered a new gin cocktail to enjoy in the garden - the lemon sorbet is a great way to add flavour instead of just normal ice




Day 26 Zumba!  We had a slightly different routine this week and it was fun to change things up a bit.

Day 27 Today was my 'domestic goddess' day - baked a lemon and poppyseed cake and also some cheese scones - and all before lunchtime!

Day 28 I left the house, got in my car and drove into town - woohoo - finally managed to buy some flour and also went into the butchers to buy lamb koftas and kebabs for Saturday evening dinner - felt like a little bit of normal had returned so I celebrated by giving my car a shampoo and polish on my return.

Day 29 Jon came to visit with Max and we had a lovely walk around the lake to feed the ducks - seeing family really lifts my spirits.

Day 30 Another lazy day in the garden, Paul noticed we have a lot of mint growing so naturally that immediately led to me gathering the ingredients for a mojito together - so refreshing!

Day 31 Another month bites the dust - at the beginning of lockdown I cooked and froze quite a few meals that we are gradually working our way through, today's choice was beef bourguignon 

So how did this last 31 days of lockdown look?  Here's 1 Second Everyday!







You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter


8 comments:

Ruth said...

What a fabulous month for you, lockdown not withstanding. I think we've all been having up and down days, humans are socialable (sp?) creatures by nature.
I can't believe just how much baking you've been doing - good idea to freeze some.

Debbie V. said...

I really like your formats here, both the sentence a day and the video one second a day. I need to try this.
One of the reasons why I started blogging was to be able to look back and see what I was living. During some moments of my day, I feel like I am stagnating and life is slipping by. But when I take a minute to look back over everything that I have done during a day, it is significant.

♥ Liz ♥ said...

I totally get "feeling a bit down" but finding a positive helps. I agree that it's nice to dress up a bit, that's why I'm glad to be at work a few days a week. Your new shoes look very smart with that skirt :)

Natalie said...

It's great that your family could drop by a couple of times in May. It's normal to have up and down days, especially during a long lockdown. Have a wonderful June!

Deb's World said...

What a month Deb! I agree with you, some days we seem to feel the lockdown more than others. It's not a normal way to live but necessary to keep the pandemic at bay. It seems the UK has really suffered badly during these past few months. I did enjoy seeing you had some visits with family and I know how good that feeling is! And your cakes - they look amazing, how on earth do you stay so slim? All the best for the lifting of restrictions over there, we are easing things here in Aus too slowly but surely. Wishing you a happier June and summer weather, as we enter our winter time down here!

Patio Postcards said...

I so enjoy your monthly recaps with a sentence a day. You are a Domestic Baking Goddess, all those cakes & biscuits look delicious.

Cheri said...

I think we've all been riding that Covid Roller Coaster!

Natasha said...

I'm catching up on my One Sentence A Day reading as I haven't done much blogging for the past two weeks. The garden centres were my lifesaver in May. I loved being able to plant some annuals! And all your baking looks delicious! I've done extra baking this quarantine as well and it will be a hard habit to break when this is over :)