Monday 3 July 2023

Me on Monday

 So it is all about Coco this Monday and today you find me looking back over the big drama of last week.

The one where Coco started off in big trouble and ended up having lots of treats and cuddles.  It was Tuesday evening, Paul had come home from playing badminton and was about to go to the pub.  Coco had her supper and went out into the garden.  So far, so normal.  Paul was about to go out the door when I realised that Coco hadn't come back in so I called her and expected to see a little white fluffy face appear from the flower beds.  Nothing.  Looked down our side paths.  Nothing.  I said to Paul that Coco had 'disappeared' (never one to make an overstatement!) so he came out to look for her to no avail.  I went in to get a box of treats, thinking that if I shook them, she would hear it and come running.  Paul thought he could hear her whimpering somewhere.  Following the sound to the end of the garden he saw her behind the shed.  There is not room for a dog behind the shed, and there certainly isn't room for a human to get there either.  We tried enticing her out with the treats - she wasn't budging.  I managed to get my shoulder through the gap and grab hold of her collar to pull her towards me but she was not moving.  Our cries of 'come out of there - NOW' were to no avail.  Then in the depths of the gap I could see that she had been trapped by the stems of a plant that was growing behind there, she must have gone in, turned round to come out and wound it round her hind legs.  Paul and I managed to grab hold of some of the stems and wrench them out of the ground and the ones wrapped round her legs gradually loosened and out she finally came.  Needless to say we were all suffering from 'Post Traumatic Shed Syndrome'.  I had visions of having to call out the fire brigade! Needless to say the side of the shed (where she has never ventured before) now has quite an assault course of pots and trellis blocking it off.

Today is actually a big day for Coco too - her 12th birthday.  She's having a quiet day at home but will probably be having a few extra treats and a longer than usual walk to celebrate.

It's all about holiday preparation this week.  The packing list is done and I just have to make sure everything is washed and ironed - and for those things that only come out for holidays, try them on and make sure they still fit! We also have to sneak the suitcases down from the loft in secret so Coco doesn’t notice them.

Coco will be spending her week at my sister's house - yes she has a packing list too.  No doubt she is in for a week of extra attention - thankfully they don't have a shed so that is one thing that we don't have to worry about!

 

8 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Happy Birthday Coco. Hopefully everyone is recovered from PTSS. You do wonder why in earth she decided now was the time to explore behind the shed. Preparing for your travel adventure can sometimes be part of the fun of travel.

Ruth said...

Happy birthday to lovely Coco! Gosh, what a dramatic experience for you all, so glad you were able to retrieve her from behind the shed safely.

Travel prep is always a joy! :)

Barbara Eads said...

Poor Coco! Hopefully she's learned her lesson about the shed. I'm just happy you found her before she could do any damage trying to get loose! She deserves a rest! And a holiday!

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Happy Birthday Coco. I'm so glad she wasn't hurt after being stuck behind the shed. I hope both you and she have a lovely time on your holidays.

Jennifer said...

Oh, poor Coco! Glad that ended as well as it did. Everyone deserves a vacation after that event:) I hope your time away is wonderful. Will look forward to hearing about it once you return! And....what is it about pups and suitcases? They seem to distress every doggie I know!?

Deb's World said...

That was a bit traumatic for you all by the sounds of things Deb! Have fun on your holidays :)

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

I am thankful that in beginning to read this, I already knew that Coco was enjoying holiday in Sicily, or I would have been worried sick that the shed got the better of her. What a very strange situation with the weeds binding her little legs. Poor baby.

We are pup-sitting Lauren's dog while they are at the beach in Puerto Vallarta. I am green with envy but I know we couldn't have gone. Just love the beach, though.

I am enjoying taking Pumpkin for twice daily walks. It is so hot, though, that we have to get out almost before sunrise and have to wait until after sunset to do our bedtime jaunt.

Give Coco a special hug for me.

Susanne said...

Oh no, not the kind of canine adventure you need to deal with before your holiday. Glad sweet Coco is okay.