Sunday 26 January 2020

The Fab Four

Do you like The Beatles?  They broke up before I was really taking an interest in music but I guess everyone knows their music no matter how old - or young- they are.  I have a confession to make, I don't really like them.  Which puts me in a minority I know!  

We have a group of friends we see from time to time, the men all play badminton together and us wives all get on well so it's nice to do something as couples now and again. There is a music venue in town which hosts tribute bands.  Now I'm not a great lover of tribute bands and neither is Paul so we have declined a couple of evenings out where they have been to see Coldplay and Oasis tribute acts as neither of us likes the original bands let alone a tribute to them!  But Paul likes the Beatles, and enjoys playing a lot of their songs on his guitar so we decided to go with the group to see 'Imagine The Beatles' act on Saturday.


Here's another confession - I was not looking forward to it.  It's an odd venue based in an old pub called The Half Moon.  A very old pub; apparently it dates back to 1642 when it was a coaching inn.  It's a pub that I've never felt comfortable in, I can't explain why, it just gives me an uneasy feeling when I'm in there.  And the area which hosts the music acts is in like a cellar, with no windows and is painted black from top to bottom.  As someone who is probably verging on claustrophobic (don't even think about asking me to get in a lift!) it's not my choice of a fun, relaxing night out.  But everyone else was up for it, Paul wanted to go and so I decided it was time to take a big brave breath and push against my comfort zone, after all that was one of my intentions for the new year.

So with music I don't like being played, in a place where I feel uneasy, you may think I'm here to say it was awful.  But I'm here to tell you that it was actually a good night out, and I am pleased that we went.  I didn't actually 'see' much of the band, when you're only 5' 1" you mostly see the shoulders of the people in front of you when it is a standing venue, but I could certainly hear them and of course, everyone knows the lyrics to sing along with 'John' 'Paul' 'George' and 'Ringo'.  And we stood under a very welcome air conditioning unit so I didn't overheat in the crowd and have a panic attack! All in all, I'm marking it down as a success and proof that I can, and I should, try things that I don't initially want to do.

I'm still pretty sure the Half Moon is haunted though.


6 comments:

Cheri said...

I love the Beatles music, but I don't like dark rooms, crowds, or standing room only places. I would have been very uncomfortable in that atmosphere! (haunted or not) Kudos to you for breaking out of your comfort zone!

Catherine said...

I’m not keen on tribute bands either but I love the Beatles. I was about 10 when they started to become famous and would have done anything to see them live. Isn’t it funny how buildings have atmospheres? I used to live in a very old house as a child. It was definitely haunted but felt very happy and comfortable at the same time.

alexa said...

Well done for braving it despite your misgivings on several fronts! And glad there were some compensations. Trust your uneasy feeling - some part of you is registering something that hasn't quite made it into your consciousness. At least you don't ever have to go back :).

Patio Postcards said...

I applaud you for pushing yourself out of your comfort zone & going on to say how in the end you enjoyed yourself & the event. (clap clap clap) ... ah the things we do for love (Paul).

Your description of the location was very good as I started to have a anxiety moment on your behalf. I wonder what energies you are picking up from the pub. Can you find out more about the history of the pub / coach house?

Ruth said...

Well come for conquering your fears and doubts! You're not alone in not being a Beatles fan - neither am I - although I can sing along to most of their hits. Imagine (no pun intended) growing up in the North West and admitting that you're not a Beatles fan ...

Barbara Eads said...

I was 12 when The Beatles came out. I fell in love with them immediately. While watching them on the Ed Sullivan show, my parents criticized their long hair! Little did they know that was actually "short" hair!! I loved all the early stuff, but by 1968 or so, I was no longer a big fan. However! I HAD to go to Liverpool. What a fabulous trip. Whether you like them or not, The Beatles are iconic!