Monday 20 January 2020

Things my children learnt this weekend

OK, so they are not exactly children any more (aged 33 and almost 30) but they aren't too old to learn something new.  (One of these stories involves me having to bite my tongue so that I didn't say 'I told you so' see if you can guess which one it was.)

'Child 1' went with her family to Jump City yesterday.  A giant indoor trampoline park, they have a quiet session for toddlers mid morning and Leo loves going there.  All was going well until R got to the end of the circuit where there was a high jump down into a well of giant foam cubes.  Which was when she learnt that she doesn't bounce back like she did when she was at school. 

'Child 2' learnt that once a baby has learnt to roll over, they are no longer safe on their changing mat.  Even if you are right next to them, and only bend down to pick up a clean nappy, they turn and roll off in a split second.  Next step, emergency Sunday doctor's appointment to have a thorough check over.  Max is fine, his dad may take a little longer to get over the shock and guilt. I think he may now realise that sometimes I am not being an over anxious nanny when I mention things, and that accidents can happen in a blink of an eye especially when you have a very active baby.

Today is a sentimental one for me as it marks the anniversary of losing my Dad back in 1989.  Such a long time ago, in fact I've lived longer without him than with him which is so hard to comprehend.  When I opened the blinds this morning, it felt like he was smiling down on me



Have a good week x

7 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Story Two thankfully had a good outcome & I'd say it's got a titch of "Nan knows best". Of course there's Mom wisdom coming through on we aren't as bouncy as we once were!

What a beautiful sky this morning, truly a smile from your Dad.

Ruth said...

I'm thinking Child 2 is where you had to bite your lip? Glad that baby Max is okay and dad is recovering.
It's lovely to think that the sunrise was a sign from your dad. It's odd to think that you might spend more of your life without a parent than with, isn't it? My dad will have been gone 25 years this summer, which means that in 2 years time, I'll have spent half my life without him. And I wonder how that is even possible. Sending you a virtual hug.

Cheri said...

Good thing that babies are very resilient - and unfortunately, I think every parent needs to learn this lesson the hard way!

alexa said...

Such a lovely thought about your Dad :). And gosh, Dad must have been very been very appreciative of your warm and non-judgemental support. (I'm trying to warn my Child 2 about wires and plugs, because once crawling starts ...). Hoping there are other nice mornings and sunrises for you this week.

Deb's World said...

Oh dear I can relate to your stories of what your children learnt Deb!! I know I have to bite my tongue too at times but it's not always easy to do. Your comment about losing your dad is lovely, it's coming up to 2 years since I lost mine and he is always in my thoughts.x

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

I am certain that beautiful sunrise was a hug and hello from your father. So sorry you have been without him for so long. I am sure he would have agreed whole-heartedly with your skepticism about darling daughter deciding to land in the bed of the bouncy house/trampoline park. Bet she will be more cautious next time. And babies are so slippery and quick. I know your son't heart was broken when Max rolled off the changing table. Glad he checked out okay. Probably more painful for his parents than for your grandson.

Barbara Eads said...

What a gorgeous sunrise! I know what you mean about saying "I told you so." Sometimes you just have to smile to yourself and think, "now maybe they are getting it!" It's a hard lesson to learn. So glad Max is okay.