Thursday 7 October 2021

From Adios to Bonjour!

 For 556 days I have logged on to my Duolingo Spanish class app and completed a lesson.  Five hundred and fifty six without a break!  That is so much longer than I ever expected when I started at the beginning of our first lockdown.

But the day has come.  Actually it came yesterday, when the Preterite Tense broke me.  I wasn't even sure what it was and had to google it!  There seem to be so many irregular verbs that have different past tense endings and it all seemed not to be quite so much fun any more.  I enjoyed learning what I did, and I feel like I have achieved more than I thought I would but the time has come to say 'this isn't fun any more, I've learnt quite a lot of conversational language and never wanted to find myself at GCSE exam level'!  

But I enjoyed my daily five minutes of learning and wondered if I should brush up on my old schoolgirl French.  How much would I remember?  More to the point, how much have I forgotten?  I've taken a grading lesson and they say I can join at Unit 3, should I jump in?  Mais oui! Will I end up being better at French than I was at Spanish?  Let's find out!  

Someone else who needs practice at something came to visit yesterday.  Here's Max - hiding.


Let me know when you spot him 😂


7 comments:

♥ Liz ♥ said...

Well done on keeping up with your Spanish. Go for it with the French. You'll be multi-lingual in no time.

Oh! and Max who? :0)

Patio Postcards said...

Bravo, bein hecho, bien joue, with your language studies. I do wonder if Max can be found in time for milk & cookies.

Ruth said...

Well done you - what a commitment to learning Spanish ... and I'm sure you'll be magnificent at learning French!

Jennifer said...

Wow - that is impressive!! Have fun with your French as well!! Silly max:)

Susanne said...

The only thing I can manage for 556 days straight is breathing! Very impressive. And I love the unique flair you've added to your window treatments, hee hee. (Or should I say he he!)

Barbara Eads said...

I am blown away that you have been able to stick to this for over a year and a half--every single day! Are you able to understand and/or speak well enough to get by?

alexa said...

That's an amazing achievement - I am sure you will flourish in French too. You'll be needing a campervan soon to head off and make use of all those new communication skills :). A great little hiding place for Max!