Monday 9 November 2020

9th Day of Gratitude

Todays prompt is Favourite Smell 

I have struggled with this one and nearly had to post just a blank page.  Today's prompt is Favourite Smell.  Which leads me to share something about me which you may not know.  I have no sense of smell!  It wasn't always that way, I lost it at the end of the 90s when I developed nasal polyps.  Had them removed and my sense of smell returned for a few years but when the polyps returned, the sense of smell disappeared again.  But I do remember what things smelled like so here is something that used to give me sensory pleasure, I found this little rosebud blooming when we were cutting back the raspberry canes in the garden, I'd forgotten it was there! 



So for all those of you with a sense of smell, take time to appreciate it and never take it for granted!  

PS Daily update - We are now in day 5 of Lockdown 2 and I'm realising that I really do need to start thinking about Christmas shopping online!  Normally Paul and I would spend a day in Cambridge where we would go armed with a list and try to tick off as much as we could.  I like to actually go into a shop to browse and look for inspiration but that is not to be this year.  I also think that we need to give our custom to shops which may not survive this period so that will be even more challenging than just clicking on Amazon!  It may be time to start compiling a list ...


6 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Your photo of the rose is beautiful. It's good that you can remember the scent, but I'll still take an extra sniff on your behalf & be grateful for this sense.

Wildflower Adventures said...

I enjoy the smell of roses also. There is some growing beside the grocery store. I stop & smell the roses when they are in bloom & I'm walking by. My sense of smell is not as good as it used to be & sometimes I think it is not working at all.

alexa said...

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to read that, Deb - you're right, I didn't know. I hope that the memory of scents is still satisfying ... What a pretty little rose, and I am sure it was glad to be re-disovered and admired :).

Barbara Eads said...

I'm so sorry you have lost your sense of smell. I tend to have an overly sensitive sense of smell. Sometimes that good and sometimes not. Still, I would not like to lose it! At least you do have the memory of that rose!

Ruth said...

What a beautiful rose and I'm glad you can still remember its scent.

onceuponatimehappilyeverafter.com said...

I remember that you shared once with me that you have lost your sense of smell. Several of the folks I know personally with Covid said that was their first symptom. For some, it has never returned. Glad you remember the fragrance of a rose. Nothing sweeter. I really wanted to post a picture of my grandbabies for favorite smell but haven't seen them recently. Nothing smells better 'baby.'

Heard on the news last night that over 25% of our small businesses in El Paso have closed because of the virus. Our restrictions have been lifted temporarily today because the powers that be can't decide whether to close or open things. I feel like I need to run to get my hair cut.